Monday, January 10, 2011

Black Swan (2010)


"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
–– Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good And Evil

My Review shows no spoilers :

This is possibly the best movie of Natalie Portman (I almost forget about CLOSER), it was too good at what it intended to do - to show you the mind of a deeply psychologically disturbed person. The combination of acting and direction made me feel as if I was undergoing all of her fears, rather than just watching them on the screen. At the beginning you want to protect Portman, and feel terrible at the isolated world of bitchiness and exploitation that she is in - a world too intense and demanding for someone as delicate as her. This is perhaps the brilliance of casting Portman for this role. She is naturally a very delicate person, whose beauty owes to the innocence of her looks. This is an innocence which, as a man raised to be a gentleman, I feel obliged to protect. But in pretty much every single scene in the entire movie, her innocence is being tested, exploited, broken down and abused. By the end you are terrified of her and what she has become. There is not one single moment in the movie that did not have me wincing and tensing, and once the movie was finished it took a long time for me to relax. Had the acting and directing been less than brilliant I think I could have shrugged it off a bit more easily. If you are in any way sensitive towards the subject of female suffering in film, then under no circumstances watch this movie. If you are harder and less sensitive towards other, then under no circumstances miss it.


MQ ;
Nina: I had the craziest dream last night about a girl who has turned into a swan, but her prince falls for the wrong girl and she kills herself.
Nina: I just want to be perfect.

Beth Macintyre: What'd you do to get this role? He always said you were such a frigid little girl. What did you do to make him change his mind, hmm? Did you suck his cock?
Nina Sayers: Not all of us have to.
Beth Macintyre: You fucking whore! You're a fucking little whore!


Thomas Leroy: I don't want there to be any boundaries between us.
Nina: No, me neither.
Thomas Leroy: So, you got a boyfriend?
Nina: No.
Thomas Leroy: And you've had many in the past?
Nina: A few but no one serious.
Thomas Leroy: You're not a virgin are you?
Nina: No.
Thomas Leroy: So there is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Lily: I can't believe he calls her that. It's so gross.

Related Post



No comments:

Post a Comment